Boosting your Immunity with Ayurveda
Image Source: Google
Concept of Immunity
Human beings are born with a basic immune system that is feeble. Through continual synergy with the microbes in our environment, and within our gut, we learn to strive against new microbes, which aids to strengthen the immune system.
Immunity, as we are led to believe through modern medicine, is the function of certain cells, enzymes and immunomodulatory chemicals that tackle pathogens and deter them from creating diseases. This concept of invasion from microorganisms and a biological defence system against it led to the development of the range of antibiotics and vaccines in the 20th century.
Ayurveda is a 5000-year old medicine practice that dawned in India. Some conjectures also describe it as one of the oldest invigorating science. Ayurveda essentially uses herbs and roots with medicinal importance, either used stand-alone or mixed with other elements to manage the vata, pitta and Kapha levels in the body, which helps in sustaining a healthy immune system.
With the accession in the number of coronavirus cases worldwide, it has become imminent to take precautionary steps to lessen the risk of infection. Which is why we need a healthy and strong immune system. Our immune system is the first line of defence, which plays an indispensable part in keeping the disease-causing pathogens away from us, thereby decreasing the chances of getting sick. There are diverse ways of boosting your immune health and one of the significant ones is Ayurveda.
Here are some herbs that you can try to boost your immunity.
- Neem Leaves: Neem is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and is a potent spermicidal agent.
- Tulsi: Start the day with Tulsi, Pippali (fruit of long pepper) and ginger tea to strengthen and cleanse the upper respiratory tract. Tulsi helps in relieving lung-related diseases like asthma, bronchitis, congestion, flu…etc.
- Turmeric: Use turmeric and black pepper in the meals every day, to boost immunity and reduce ama (toxins). Turmeric can be taken as a drink with almond milk or added to morning oats to serve a nourishing and wholesome golden porridge.
- Amla: Take 15 ml of Amla juice daily. Optionally, take Chyavanprash to furnish additional antioxidants and strengthen the immunity.
- Drink plenty of warm water. Staying thoroughly hydrated will keep the throat and mucous membrane moist, supporting its action as a good bar to all microbes.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is an essential herb in Ayurveda. The name transliterates to “the smell of horse”, which symbolises its capability to give immense strength and the unique fragrance it carries. It can reduce blood sugar levels, cortisol levels, symptoms of depression and inflammation. It helps increase strength, muscle mass and improve brain function as well.
- Anandaspa.com. n.d. Improving Immunity With Ayurveda | Ananda In The Himalayas. [online] Available at: <https://www.anandaspa.com/en/spirit-of-ananda/improving-immunity-with-ayurveda> [Accessed 11 December 2020].
- Beshara, M., 2018. Six Ways To Boost Your Immune System Naturally Before You Get Sick. [online] Allinahealth.org. Available at: <https://www.allinahealth.org/healthysetgo/prevent/six-ways-to-boost-your-immunity-before-you-get-sick> [Accessed 11 December 2020].
- Facebook.com. 2018. Redirecting…. [online] Available at: <https://www.facebook.com/luckbazaar.supply/posts/5-ayurvedic-herbs-to-boost-your-immunityayurveda-is-a-5000-year-old-medicine-sys/1058979241187284/> [Accessed 11 December 2020].
- Indus Health Plus. 2019. 7 Remarkable Healthy Tips To Boost Immunity. [online] Available at: <https://www.indushealthplus.com/7-remarkable-tips-to-improve-your-immunity.html> [Accessed 11 December 2020].
- Koshiya, D. and Hospital, A., 2020. IMPROVING IMMUNITY WITH AYURVEDA. [online] Amrutkalpayurved.com. Available at: <https://www.amrutkalpayurved.com/latest-update/improving-immunity-w/808> [Accessed 11 December 2020].
- OJHA FITNESS TRACT. 2020. Top 5 Ayurvedic Herbs To Boost Your Immunity. [online] Available at: <https://ojhafitnesstrack.wordpress.com/2020/08/13/top-5-ayurvedic-herbs-to-boost-your-immunity/> [Accessed 11 December 2020].
- Rammohan, D., 2019. 5 Ayurvedic Herbs To Boost Your Immunity – Medlife Blog: Health And Wellness Tips. [online] Medlife Blog: Health and Wellness Tips. Available at: <https://www.medlife.com/blog/5-ayurvedic-herbs-to-boost-your-immunity/> [Accessed 11 December 2020].
- The Times of India. 2020. Common Ayurvedic Herbs To Boost Your Immunity – Times Of India. [online] Available at: <https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/home-remedies/common-ayurvedic-herbs-to-boost-your-immunity/articleshow/77002903.cms> [Accessed 11 December 2020].